LEVEN PLAYING FIELD ASSOCIATION
Registered Charity no. 523264
ANNUAL AUCTION SALE
LEVEN SPORTS HALL, NORTH STREET, LEVEN
SATURDAY 24 MARCH 2018
DOORS OPEN FOR BRIC-A-BRAC, JUMBLE AND BOOKS AT 10.00 AM WITH THE MAIN AUCTION COMMENCING AT 12.00 PM
Collections can be arranged by contacting any of the following:
Ken Macklin - 01964 503 491
Stuart Hobson - 07498 299 279
Sara Towne - 01964 544 067
Irene Smallwood - 01964 542 123
Malcolm Hilton - 07760 454 259
REFRESHMENTS SERVED ALL DAY
Leven Sports Hall
The phrase 'from little acorns...' springs to mind when one talks about the Leven Sports Hall.
From it's humble beginnings in an old pigsty, to the modern, well equipped community facility it is today, Leven Sports Hall is managed by the Playing Fields Association and has, in one form or another, been a facility of the village since 1953. Today it caters admirably for the sporting interests of the entire community.
The current Sports Hall was originally built in 1973, and the building itself has been extensively re-modelled since that time, with the addition of extensions, tennis courts, practice nets, upgrades to the children's playground, a new wing named the 'Allison Wing' which incorporates new changing rooms, and more recently, the installation of a 'Fitness Trail' and new extension to the Allison Wing.
The Sports Hall offers wheelchair access from the patio overlooking the field, and there are bench seats on the patio for those wishing to view the on-field activities.
Did you know...
The very first auction was held in 1970 at the Recreation Hall and raised just under £100.
The floor of the sports hall is marked out for badminton, which can be booked on an hourly basis.
For functions, the hall can accommodate around 200 people and is equipped with a licensed bar which can be opened for functions in the hall by arrangement. There is also a kitchen area.
'To improve the acoustics during live shows, 'parachutes' can be hung from the hall ceiling, and a 10' x 20' x 12" high stage is available for functions and shows by prior arrangement.
Pre-school is held Mon-Fri in the upstairs room and in the hall itself, classes include karate, children's dancing, line dancing, zumba dancing and even a model aeroplane & helicopter club.
The Bowls club has it's own 'Pavilion' overlooking the green, and this can be hired for meetings when not in use - football and cricket teams have well equipped changing room facilities, plus a kitchen.
The snooker room is equipped with three full sized tables and seating for spectators and is available for use during licensing hours.
The Members Club is open seven nights a week, from 7 pm Monday to Thursday, 4 pm on Fridays and 12 noon Saturday and Sunday, and with a choice of the finest beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks at competitive prices, you can enjoy a game of snooker, pool, darts or dominoes. The club also has large screen TV for Sky Sports.
A history of the Playing Fields Association
Posted by T. Etherington
In 1953 there was in existence, an organisation known as the Coronation Sports Committee which was actively preparing to celebrate the Coronation by means of children's sports, comic cricket match etc., and although there is a record of the preparations, alas we seem to have no record of the actual event taking place.
The Leven Coronation Sports Committee gave way to the Leven Sports Committee in 1955, which took over some land earmarked for council houses and rented from the Rural District Council through the Parish Council. The field was seeded and used for many years as a children's playground.
The Sports Committee was renamed in 1958, to become the Leven Playing Fields Committee, with the intention of procuring for the village a playing field, and the first annual meeting was held on 8th May 1958. At that first meeting the three officers were, Chairman Mr. H. Beal of Grange Farm, Hon. Secretary P. Theasby the School Headmaster and Mr. C. Northgraves as Hon. Treasurer (affectionally referred to as "Chum" Northgraves).
The Committee worked for many years raising money through Whist Drives, and especially by means of the Annual Garden Party which was held in the garden of the President at Steeton Lodge and latterly in the garden of Mr. H. A. Allison, who had taken over as Chairman.
One other villager, who would not serve on the Committee, but did untold good to the Committee's efforts was Mr. Goff Page, without whose generosity many a garden party prize draw would have looked very ordinary.
In 1963, a field came on the market due to a planning refusal. Negotiations were commenced, the field bought and wonders of wonders the adjoining field belonging to Mr. A. Charlton was also obtained.
All along the line, advice had been given by the National Playing Fields Association through Mr. Stanley Price of the Yorkshire branch, and through their good offices, grants were obtained from the Education Department, who at the time looked after those matters.
Thus with further grants obtained, the Committee (now known as the Association, Registered Charity No. 523264) was able to proceed with the laying of the field, and the alteration of a pigsty into a small clubroom and changing rooms.